Friday, September 2, 2016

Poetic Personal Statement

HELLO and WELCOME back to another school year! Another one! Isn't it crazy? They just keep coming! Anyway, the first project of the year is......... wait for it......... dramatic effect...........................
wait, I just realized, you probably know what it is from the title. . . To think I wasted all of those periods! Anyway, the first project is the Poetic Personal Statement. And I would like to start things off right. The word poetry. You've probably herd of it before, you may have even written poetry before! But what's interesting about the word is how many meanings it has. To some people, it could be a few statements that rhyme, to others it may mean the emotions poetry conveys. To me, poetry means: Several statements, usually in a certain pattern of writing (rhyming, or whatever) that conveys a moral, meaning, or emotion. That's just my definition of it, (connotation, anyone?) so you might have a different one. Don't take everything I say as fact. Unless you do, in which case, YOU ARE NOW MY MINION. MEET ME AT THE PARK AT 5:00 PM TO DO MY BIDDING AND DON'T BE LATE. Seriously though. I also think poetry is used for different reasons. My personal reasons that I think poetry is written is to convey a meaning, express an emotion, and / or telling people a message that the writer takes to heart. You may have a lot of other reasons for writing poetry. Perhaps it's fun for you, and that's the only reason you do it. Again, these are just my opinions.

So, here is MY poetic personal statement:

Here I am, working and stressing
Knowing, I won’t get a savior blessing
Going deeper and deeper, into the zone,
For all of my work must be my own
Trying and trying, through blood, sweat, and tears,
Letting go of the stress to let go of my fears
Relaxed, focused, and working presently
Trying to keep my health, mentally.

Did you see any personal goals in there? Perhaps that I want to stress less? Fear less? Work harder? Stop procrastinating? Be healthier? Anything? Cool.

I used rhythm and rhyme very thoughtfully in this poem. For example, notice how the tone in the beginning is much different than the tone in the end. I tried to make it so that the beginning is fast paced, stressed, and a kind of last-minute tone, but in the end, I tried to make it more relaxed and chill. Notice the difference now? And, of course, I made the rhyme do a similar thing, with the fast-paced, and then the slower relaxed words. If you want to see the final project, you probably already have because the text, sketch, and final project are scattered about the page.

Welcome back!
-Linden


No comments:

Post a Comment