Monday, November 30, 2015

Scratch Game Design

So, coding! Finally, something difficult but super fun! Our assignment was to create an epic Scratch game where one thing chases another, and to make a platformer. We, as well, had to make a game where... well... it actually diddn't have much requirements. It was just a freedom game. (Have fun playing the games, they're around here somewhere...) Anyway, our class gave us feedback on the games, (The one that was made FIRST,) so we could make the games better. The chase game, platformer, and freedom games you currently see above is the most updated version. A couple of the suggestions were to make the water in the platformer for level 4 a little slower, (Which I did, by the way.) and to make the background to the chase game a little more interesting.

So, for each of the games, I think there were clearly some awesome features. (Shameless self-advertising.) The best feature for the chase game, I think, was how the game gets harder the longer you play. After 20 points, it becomes almost impossible to dodge the square's attacks. (Want a hint? Never stop moving.) For the platformer, I think the best feature is the cutsene at the end. The water stops, and then drains. They're pretty cool, and very different. As one increases difficulty, one stops it.

So, the code. I think that the best code I made was on the freedom game, because of the complexity of creating certain formations that would always be carried out provided the correct random number was picked. It was pretty difficult to coordinate the lava and platforms, and took some trial and error. One of the most difficult bug fixes was actually also the best code. I just couldn't figure out how to coordinate the lava and the platforms. When two of the same formations appeared, the platforms would be off by quite a bit, usually making it impossible. But I rewrote the code, so instead of 10 sprites there were 1 that cloned itself, and I made the platforms activate the lava. It was pretty frustrating...

Hope you enjoy playing Chase, Platformer, and Dash!
-Linden<br />

P.S. For the freedom game, use only space. Space makes you jump. Tap space again to double jump. For the platformer, use arrow keys, and same for the chase game.

12 comments:

  1. I like how you made it so he doesn't chase behind you like most games
    I think you should make the red square move faster
    I like how you used colour to display what to do

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this game! This game seems like it took a lot of coding.
    The only thing I think should be different is the entertainment factor, after a while I got a little bored.
    I like how you coded it to pick up the pace of targeting when you got further in the game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the way you game was very original by the way things were coded differently from other games that I have played.
    I think that you could maybe put a better background because after a while it gets kind of boring so I suggest you do what I said.
    I really like the way you made the read square target the green block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Like the way that this game was created but I think maybe you can improve with the red box so that it will fallow the small box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how your game is looks simple but actually took lots of coding. I think that there is something more you could add to make a little more interesting, (maybe change backdrops, add levels, or add 2 red blocks). I also like how your score board looks different than everyone else's, it definitely fits in better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like your background.When I clicked the start button I didn't even have time to move and I got flooded.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like the background but you should fix the flooding as soon as i push the flag it floods. Please fix!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the idea of being chased by water instead of just the countdown timer. Maybe you could make the water in level 4 go a tad bit slower. But I like the challenge. I love how simple the background is and how creative you got.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how you used the idea of islands and floods.Maybe you should make the water a bit slower. I really like your graphics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how creative it is. I think the ball should move faster. I like how you used the water as the timer.

    ReplyDelete